graywolf wrote:
> I do not know exactly how PS uses the term, but -in general- "metadata"
> is information about the data, usually saved in the file. That is all
> the stuff in the file besides the actual photo -in this case- is
> metadata. It seems to have started as a HTML keyword and spread into
> other areas. Actual definition of "meta-" is beside, or after.

You probably realize this, graywolf, but for the sake of the people that
aren't computer professionals ... within the computer profession,
especially software, the term "meta" has relatively specific meaning
that's a little hard to put into comprehensible words.  Basically, "Meta
X" is "X about (the) X", so, for example, ...

... a "meta language" is a language that describes other languages, or,
alternatively, and maybe more properly, a language that describes the
properties of languages.

... "meta data" is "data about (the) data".  So in the case of photo
files, that would include comments, EXIF data, IPTC data, and
technically it could be considered also to include such "intrinsic"
information as the length, width, and pixel data size/format.

--
Thanks,
DougF (KG4LMZ)