Backwards thinking on your part.  Linear may be technically correct, but
non-linear is better, it's what film has done for years and years.  The
irony is that linear capture produces a non-linear greyscale, the brightness
of each step is double or half of the neighbouring steps.

The steps starting at 0,0,0 on the left take half the bit depth to just get
out of the blacks, the suddenly leap up to saturation in just the top 4
stops.  The reason we are fooled is that the greyscale horizontal axis is
progressively compressed, not only should each step be double the brightness
of its predecessor, it should also be double the length of its predecessor.
But it's not; it's NON-linear, because it was captured lineally.

Film produces a constant increase in brightness from each stop to the next
whether they are shadow or highlight stops.  A difference of a few lumens in
the shadows will give the same increase in brightness (negative density in
this case) as will an increase of hundreds or more lumens in the highlights.

With linear (digital) capture, a shadow stop may represent, let's say, 4
lumens increase over the previous stop, while a 5 stops brighter highlight
will represent 128 lumens increase over the previous stop.  That's 32 times
more illumination, but it's still just one stop!  And guess what?  The
digital sensor will record that as a 32 times higher increase in brightness
in the output file.  IOW a shadow stop is a severely discounted commodity.

 It's all about how our eyes see versus how sensors see.  The sensor may
technically be correct, but I want to photograph things the way that I see.

Regards,
Anthony Farr

Ryan