>> Actually, after thinking about this for a while longer, it occurred to
>> me that per-pixel gain and offset may be all there is to it. [ ... ]
>>

> Being able to sense and apply per-pixel gain will lead to a normalized
> output per pixel but it still can't negate thermal and other random
> noise sources.

Precisely.
>> I still think that using terms like "Dynamic Range Expansion" [ ... ]
>>

> As you can likely appreciate 22bits is way over the top for most any
> analogue sampling system
Yes. It seems right in a setup like this to use enough bits to make sure
*all* the info (including noise) is kept. And the circuit is probably
also designed for larger sensors with more dynamics...
>  and in the case of these types of sensors
> probably at least 8 bits more than is necessary to capture the signal
> over the noise floor.
[ ... ]
> The D range expansion really refers to non-linearizing the
> extremes of the capture range, IE softening the transfer curve at  the
> noise floor and at saturation which should as suggested provide a more
> film like rendering.

Ah. So that's what the gamma block refers to? Yes, it does seem nice to
be able to do such things at this level, although I'm not sure it
*really* expands the range.
> [ ... ]
>
> They do but I think it's a lot more rudimentary than the options that
> this chip offers.

Yes. Just applying one common offset and gain factor, perhaps, or one
per colour channel? (The gain would probably be combined with the ISO
setting...)

- Toralf