Sorry to rain on your boosterism, but while the flash compensation
technique you describe works, it is indeed a cumbersome work around.

I use flash compensation mostly for shooting birds and macro shots.  With
birds that means slow flash synch.  My technique with the Pz-1p:

1. Set flash to desired compensation (usually -1 to -1.5 stops.)
2. With camera in manual, set shutter and aperture speeds to the metered
ambient exposure.  As you know from shooting birds yourself, this involves
judging the correct compromise between DOF and shutter speed sufficient to
capture a moving subject while simultaneously adjusting the exposure for
subject tonality and lighting conditions.
3. Shoot.

This is great with the Pz-1p.  Using manual focus 'A' lenses, I can control
the aperture and shutter via the control wheels and set the exposure
accordingly.  I also adjust the exposure based on the lighting of that
particular shot, that particular bird.  So if I flip from a blue heron to a
white swan, I simply set the meter (in manual mode) to indicate the amount
of under or over exposure appropriate to the subject.

With the Mz-S, it get's more complicated.  Once you flip the exposure
compensation dial, you have to counter for that compensation as you
manually configure each shot.  So if the plain metered reading is 1/125 at
f5.6, and I set the exposure comp dial to -1 to account for the flash, the
finder will show a dot indicating exposure comp, but the exposure display
will show a -1 stop compensated exposure as correct.  So if I want to
exposure at 1/125 I have to adjust the rig to display 1 stop over
exposed.  So as I move from subject to subject and adjust exposure, I have
to constantly reminded myself that what I see in the finder has already
been adjusted, and I have to adjust my adjustments accordingly.

An armchair photographer might wonder what could be so difficult with
that.  But shooting wildlife demands split second timing.  Every new factor
that get's introduced compounds the risk of error.  The 'KISS' principle is
directly on point.

It gets worse when hand holding macro in the field, where the decisions
about flash comp revolve around a complex matrix covering the distance
between the lens and the subject, the level and nature of the ambient
light, the distance between the subject and the background, and the basic
tonal characteristics of the subject.  In addition, there is a baseline
level of adjustment needed depending on the film being used and its level
of reflectivity (unless the Mz-S no longer uses off the film metering with
TTL flash.)  When shooting macros I set flash exposure to anything from 0
to -3 stops.  Juggling those elements while stalking a flitty little
subject and trying to get a good composition is difficult enough.  Having
to adjust for the exposure compensation when determining the basic ambient
exposure, especially when the flash needs variable compensation, adds a
useless layer of complexity.

With the Pz-1p I leave the control wheel set to flash compensation.  I
don't know what you mean about scrolling through menus - you press the
button in the center of the wheel and turn the aperture wheel, and the
flash comp moves with it.  I do it all the time without taking my eye off
the finder, and all the info I need is right there.

And in both cases, the Mz-S is at a disadvantage with the 'A' lens, since
aperture data is not available in the finder when shooting in full
manual.  This is a side issue not directly related to flash compensation,
but it is important to me.

I like the Mz-S, it's a great camera and I love using it.  The new flash
will address most of the concerns I have with it and I don't have any
problem with Pentax choosing to put those functions into the flash units
going forward, since that will make flash compensation available on the
whole line of bodies.  And while your technique for flash compensation is
an acceptable work around, you're fooling yourself if you think it is
better than the Pz-1p's functionality.  After all, if it was that good then
why is Pentax bothering to put flash compensation on the flash unit?

The idea that flash compensation would violate the design ethic of the
Mz-S, and therefore is to be shunned, is nonsense.  The same is true of
your comment that using flash compensation via the body is for those who
don't exercise control over their photography.  All I'm saying is that I
want to adjust the power of the TTL flash directly and also adjust the
ambient exposure directly, without having one adjustment interfere with the
display of information for the other.  I use these features to exercise a
demanding level of control over my work in fast paced situations where
speed and simplicity of execution are essential.  Without the AF360FTZ, the
Mz-S doesn't repsond to these needs as cleanly or as efficiently as the
Pz-1p.

I'm interested in the 'low vibration' aspects of the Mz-S with birds, and
will probably use it with manual flash when birding until I get the
Af360FTZ.  For fill purposes, manual flash works fine, though I prefer
TTL.  For the kinds of macro work I do, where TTL flash is essential, the
Mz-S can't cut it.  I've taken it out and tried, but the flash compensation
and synch speed limitations really do get in the way.

- MCC

At 08:10 PM 8/26/01 +0200, Pål wrote:

>REPLY:
>
>This is nonsense. The method originally described is totally meaningless.
>Theres no point in step 1; starting by pressing the green button. Neither
>is any sense in point 2; memorizing the exposure. Nor is there meaning in
>point 3 - why on earth set exposure manually first when in Av mode - for
>goodness sake set exposure in Av mode thats why you are using the mode I
>presume. (sorry for being upset but there must be limits on how difficult
>simple things can be done)
>In aperure priority mode set whatever exposure you want that gives
>shutterspeed slower than 1/180s. Lock that exposure - it takes a twist of
>the thumb. Dial in exp. compensation. Thats it. Its far easier and faster
>than on the Z-1p I used to own.

-snip-

Mark Cassino
Kalamazoo, MI