Elements 4 only allows a subset of functions and filters in 16bit per
channel mode. CS2 allows a much larger set, with only a subset
restricted to 8bit mode.

The strategy to go with if you want to continue using Elements is to
do the large transformational edits (levels, curves, sharpening,
colorspace, etc) in 16 bit, then convert to 8bit for final editing.

Godfrey