>What I found was the smaller flashes just
> didn't have enough power.

Silvered umbrellas help a bit ( Photogenic Eclipse, I think they are
called... ).  I get around F8 at ISO 200 with two silvered umbrellas at a
resonable working distance for small groups.  GN 120 flashes, Vivitar 285
HVs.  Recycle time and the need to change batteries every now and then are
still issues, though.  For location work with monolights, you might want to
invest in the monolight system's big battery pack units to avoid running
cables to an outlet ( if there is one ), and possibly tripping breakers if
everyone's on the same aged circuit ( photog lights, video lights, DJ system,
etc. )

Brian

--

Brian Dunn Photographic