All four are very nice! Love the sky in the third one. Hard to pick a favorite of the four.

The effort was worth it.

Tom C.

From: Pål Jensen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Pentax-Discuss Mail List" <pdml@pdml.net>
Subject: Some more images...
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 2006 19:45:04 +0200

I've added four images to my portfolio at Photo.net:
http://www.photo.net/photodb/member-photos?user_id=266609

They are all shot in august this year with the Pentax 645NII and the
Pentax645 33-55/4.5 lens close to home.

This is a four minute exposure shot after the sun had set. The mountain is
colored by the red afterglow whereas the rocks in the foreground is colored
by the blue sky overhead. The location is the western side of the Moskenes
island; the outermost of the major Lofoten islands in Northern Norway. This
area represent the wildest coastal landscape on the planet and it is only
accessible by boat. Straight ahead behind the montains runs the worlds
largest maelstrom made famous by Jules Verne (20.000 leagues under the sea)
and Edgar Allan poe (A descent into the maelstrom). The mountains in the
image are among the lowest in the area at about 500metres tall. The boulders
are about the size of houses. In the distant montainside, slightly to the
right of the center of the image is a cave the size of a cathedral. This
cave contains 5000 years old, stone age cave paintings. To the right of me
is the open ocean where the next landmass is Greenland. To the left is a
vertical mountain side that is about 800 meters high. Incidentally Poe
describe the view from this mountain like this:

"A panorama more deplorable desolate no human imagination can conceive. To
the right and left, as far as the eye  could reach, there lay outstreched,
like ramparts of the world, lines of horridly black and beetling cliff,
whose character of gloom was but the more forcibly illustrated by the surf
which reared high up against it its white and ghastly crest, howling and
shrieking forever"

Pretty strong stuff there form Mr. Poe. Anyway, there were people living
there to about the early 50's. Behind the mountain is a place named Hell. It
is the only harbor in the area. There were several houses there and even a
school. One of the gullies in the mountain in the picture is actually the
school road for the kids living in the eare where the picture is taken. In
the winter they uses ice axes (no, I'm not making this up). In the early
50's all the houses were dismantled and it is only inaccessible wilderness
there now.
Unfortunately the small size of the image on the web take away some of the
impact. It works well as a large print. I think that the light communicate
some of the gloom described by Poe.

I walked for an hour or so in the mountains in dense fog hoping that I
eventually would get through it and that there would be photo oportunities.

I've had about six trips to this pond on a small island. In late august the
light was finally on my side.

This is a previsualized image. I passed this mountain pond in 1999 and saw
that it was an image here when the sun set. In mid august this year I
finally got around doing it. I went up there, set up the tripod and waited
for about two hours until the light was right.

Pål