On Oct 5, 2006, at 10:46 PM, Godfrey DiGiorgi wrote:

>> Problem is if you need to digitize it's a PITA to scan the frames,
>> 170mm is too long for most of the dedicated MF desktop scanners, so
>> you have to stitch or scan with a high res flatbed film scanner which
>> sort of defeats the advantage.
>
> You could scan the negatives in sections with some dedicated film
> scanners, I suppose.

I could scan 6x12 in two sections in my film scanner, but 6x17cm is
theoretically a couple of millimetres too long to fit into the holder
(power tools aside).  OTOH I do not like the idea of stitching two
900Mb files.

My Agfa Arcus 1200 would scan them easily - 4 or 5 at once even - but
it's only 1200ppi and would have to scan through a glass plate as its
basically a flatbed with a light source in the lid.  Newton rings and
dust would both be problematic.

I'm quite pleased that my "good" film scanner includes the ability to
scan the central strip of a 6x9 frame at its full optical resolution,
so it can handle my hack-job 35mm panoramas at full res in a single
pass.  I really need to fit my viewfinder mask into the 6x7 and go
shooting pans again.

- Dave