A while back, I asked for advice about Monument Valley for a trip I was
planning. For those who might consider a visit down there, I offer the
following:

There are two campgrounds and neither one is great. The one in the tribal park
is more primitive than the one at Gouldings. We wound up rending a two bedroom
apartment while we were there. It was expensive but we had a kitchen and saved
some money by cooking our own meals. There is a grocery store and gas station
at Gouldings.

You can see some of the rock formations from the road but there is a lot of
"stuff" intruding into those shots and you'll have to work to get your photos
without having trailers, pick-ups etc in the frame.

There is a road that winds through the Monument Valley (admission fee). It's
rough...I was on my 600 lb motorcycle and I'm not sure I'd do it again. I
almost got stuck in the sand a couple times and I hit bottom a bunch. The bike
did allow me to stop in places I couldn't have in a car because I could stop in
small spots off the road where a car would block traffic.

We rode the tour bus through the park later in the afternoon. The bus goes
where cars are not permitted (for good reason - some spots were deep sand that
no car could get through). We took the regular tour bus instead of hiring a
guide for a personal tour. It was cheaper but the bus didn't always stop where
I wanted it to stop. It made me glad I rode through by myself earlier.

We took the 4:00 tour bus to take advantage of a lower sun in the sky. We were
there in mid September and the light was pretty good at that time of day. The
tour bus stops were long enough that I had time to walk around and pick my
spots then set up my equipment without feeling rushed.

Gouldings Lodge has a museum in an old trading post with some interesting stuff
about the Navajos and all the movies that were filmed in Monument Valley
including some artifacts. They show a John Wayne film from Monument Valley
every night in a small theater.

We had a good time and it was a worthwhile stop on our tour since we were going
through there anyway. I don't know that it's worth a visit by I definitely
recommend it in combination with the National Parks that are within a day's
drive.