We had rooms full of image processing equipment at the Digital Signal
Processing lab at MIT.  Prof. Troxel was a cool guy and loved gadgets.
We frequently build large custom boards to do simple stuff like the
equivalent of the levels feature in photoshop.  One of the guys there
got his PHD in EE, his specialty was Charge Coupled Devices (CCD's as we
now know them), a relative novelty at the time.  He and I started a
consulting company to solve problems with CCD subsystems.

My first digital image was an IR image from a top secret (at the time)
camera.  Its IR was quite sensitive but they were having problems with
distortions from the mirror assembly which they wanted us to solve. They
paid us alot of money to solve the problem in two weeks, I guess they
were under a huge time pressure to get this to their customer, which we
guessed was the DOD due to the high clearance we had to get.

When we solved the problem, I took a picture of myself to test the
sensitivity of the camera. I was told that it would detect the residual
heat from my hand after I had placed and removed it from my chest. Well,
I did that and was amazed.  Not only could I see a ghostly image of my
hand, but I could see through my shirt and many of my larger
arteries/veins were visible.  My face looked like the face of an alien
with my veins, bone structure and what looked like fatty deposits or
something visible.  I am going to try to dig that pic up and post it here.

rg