On Wed, 22 Nov 2006, Bruce Dayton wrote:

> Along with that, the F version is a two touch, the A is a one touch.
> So for the A, you focus and zoom at the same time.  For speedy zoom
> and focusing, this is much better.  But it can cause problems with
> zoom creep when on a tripod and hands off.  The F lens has a ring for
> focus and a ring for zoom.
>
> One big issue is whether you need/want AF or not.  Only the F has AF.
> FWIW, I have the A 70-210/4 and am very happy with it.

I generally don't mind MF lenses, and frequently MF AF lenses.
However, I found the A to be far too heavy and unwieldy to focus and
zoom, and replaced it with the F. AF is effectively another hand for
me.

Mid-range long zooms were a 15-year problem for Pentax, until the
50-200 came about. The few of us still using film still have the same
problem.

Kostas