On 24/11/06, Paul Stenquist, discombobulated, unleashed:

>one of our major
>problems was that "Jeep" had become a generic name for 4x4 SUVs

It's gone full circle. It started out as a generic term before it became
trademarked as you know. I owned a CJ7 for a couple of years and loved
it. A CJ-5 is still on my wish-list.

Factoids:

Did you know that the very first Land Rover was based entirely on a war-
time jeep (sic) ?

Body panels were aluminium because steel was in short supply during and
after the war.

There are still places on Earth where the CJ-3 is made under license
(India for one I think - Mahindra)

:-)

--

Cheers,