Given this knowledge I can dial in the effective FL on my manual
lenses so that SR is optimized when I'm working at or close to 1:1. My
question is does the SR system compensate for FL change when using
later lenses where manual input of the FL is not available?

-----

Very good question, Rob. I have two reactions:

Firstly, I think this is a question for Ned Bunnell. He should be able
to get us the answer.

Secondly, your calculations show that effective focal length in macro
shooting is always less than nominal focal length at infinity. I wonder
if it matters for SR? This photo with the FA* 200 F4 Macro was not at
1:1, but I was pretty close to the bud (maybe about 1 m. or so) and shot
at 1/60th handheld, with SR on.

http://www.fotocommunity.com/pc/pc/mypics/535671/display/7358516

Joe