>>> No it doesn't.
>>> It doesn't get converted to *any* other colorspace until you do RAW
>>> conversion.
>>>
>>      What about the K10D's 22-bit -> 1[246]-bit(?) lossy conversion to
>> RAW?  Somewhere in the signal chain the camera's processor decided to
>> throw something away.
>
> Changing sample size doesn't have to change color space. You can change
> a 16-bit Adobe RGB image to 8-bit and it'll still be in Adobe RGB.

        Yeah, I'm aware of that.  I guess I thought it was obvious that
having a 22-bit A/D converter is only useful if it wasn't blindly
truncated to 12-bits.  The "non-blind" operation includes dynamic range
choices on a per-channel basis.  That *could* also include
taking the colorspace into account.

        I'm not saying I know how it's done... just trying to provide food
for thought.  RAW isn't RAW anymore if the 22-bits have been truncated on
a per-channel basis to 12...

-Cory

* Cory Papenfuss, Ph.D., PPSEL-IA                                       *
* Electrical Engineering                                                *