> I think a logarithmic histogram would be a really useful tool, but
> I'm afraid that the linear histogram is too deeply embedded in the
> photographic consciousness.  Unless you could get someone such as
> Adobe to switch to it in their software there's too much risk of
> confusion by showing a histogram that isn't like anyone else.

        I use Gimp for much of my processing and ufraw for some of my raw
conversions.  They both provide the option of linear or log histogram.

        Really irritates me for shots of the moon or stars or other night
with small light shots... can't tell when they're blown out.  Would have
been nice when I was flying alongside Chicago as well:
http://www.ee.vt.edu/~mythtv/imgp6043_WB_USM.jpg

        I wanted to expose for the lights, but I could make out nothing on
the (linear) histogram  except the thin black line on the left from all
the dark stuff.

-Cory

* Cory Papenfuss, Ph.D., PPSEL-IA                                       *
* Electrical Engineering                                                *