On 12/26/06, Bob Shell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Dec 26, 2006, at 1:40 PM, Scott Loveless wrote:
>
> I don't live in NYC, but I've spent a lot of time there.
>
> > The wife and I are planning a weekend getaway to NYC sometime within
> > the next couple months.  The tentative plans include hitching a ride
> > on the Amtrak to Penn Station.  Most likely we'll be arriving around
> > lunch time on a Saturday and departing the following afternoon.  Would
> > anyone have recommendations for accommodations in the vicinity?  Plus,
> > a pilgrimage to B&H is, of course, a requisite.  The maps I've looked
> > at seem to indicate that their store is very close to the train
> > station.  Can anyone confirm this for me?
>
> Can't help you there, since I've never gone there by train.  But you
> should not go to NYC and deny yourself the experience of a NYC taxi
> ride.   With luck you won't get the same driver I had one time who
> laughed hysterically the whole time, or the one who groused that I
> was only going a few blocks and he wanted a "real" fare.
LOL.  I'll keep that in mind.  A few years back I took a cab across
St. Louis.  I don't recall why exactly, but I did.  Anyway, I
specified the route I wanted the driver to take and he refused,
claiming he knew a shorter way.  When we finally arrived at my
destination he actually asked me for a tip.  I think I said something
like "piss off'.  I guess I even look like a tourist in my own town.
Go figure.

> > Our time in NYC will be far
> > too short to take in more than one or two "sites", so we'd prefer to
> > keep travel within the city to a minimum.  Any art museums,
> > restaurants, etc. come to mind?  What's it going to take to convince
> > one or two of you to lead us around on a photo tour?
>
> If you're into looking at fine photography the International Center
> of Photography is one of those things you should not miss.  You can
> look on their web site at www.icp.org to see what's showing during
> the time you will be in NYC.  The Leica Gallery on Broadway has some
> great shows.  Check their site to see what's hanging when you plan to
> be there:
>
> http://www.leica-camera.us/culture/galeries/gallery_new_york/
I mentioned this to Christie.  She wants to partake in some non-photo
activities.  Like shopping.  At Macy's or some crap.  Women.  HCB's
Scrapbook will be at ICP.  So I'm going to have to overrule her this
time.  :)

> MOMA is a must-see if you haven't been before.  If you're there in
> good weather, the South Street Seaport is great fun and offers many
> photo opportunities.
The Seaport is a possibility.

Thanks, Bob.  Much appreciated.

--