I'd definitely check out the cost to fix it.  I recently had problems
with my R800 not feeding paper and was thinking replacement.  Took it to
an Epson recommended service center here in the Milwaukee area and he
did a CLA to remove a chip of paper that was blocking the feed sensor.
Total cost 40 bucks.  All done within 4 hours of when I brought it in.
Told me a complete replacement feed mechanism would have only been
another $20.  Little different problem, obviously, but it wouldn't hurt
to check the cost.

-P