Hi,

thanks for replying. I am kind of veering towards the 10x50s, although
they are rather more than I really want to pay for fairly casual use.
This is because of the combination of magnification and brightness,
but then there is a reduced field of view.

I'm given to understand that anything where the exit pupil diameter /
magnification is less than 5 is considered a bit too dim for birds. I
have previously used 8 x something-less-than-40, and thought it was
ok. I have a pair of 12x50 which have only a 5.5 degree fov, so
finding things is quite difficult, and they are rather dim for me. I
used some in Africa which were fantastically bright - Nikon, I think -
and I really appreciated the brightness.

I think the big difference between birding binoculars and others, such
as hunting ones, is the close focus. Again, the pair I have do not
focus at all closely, are very slow to focus, and are basically
useless for looking at birds. They might be ok for looking at lions,
but they are in short supply round the Thames Estuary. I expect the
alligators eat them all.

--
 Bob