Bob W wrote:

> Conversely I'd expect to be able to put more pixels on a larger area,
> but there seems to be some limiting factor that prevents the
> widespread use of 24x36 (or perhaps it's just a Machiavellian
> marketing trick to make people buy new lenses).

The limit is that the pixel sites on the sensor have a definite depth to
them, rather like millions of bogroll tubes bundled together.  Little
lenses at the top, photoreceptors at the bottom.

This means that light rays need to strike the sensor as near to
perpendicular as possible, otherwise they just hit the sides of the
tube, not the photoreceptors.  Larger sensors have pixel sites further
away from the central axis of the lens and rays are more likely to hit
the sensor at angles further away from perpendicular than optimal,
resulting in less light accessing the photoreceptors at the bottom.
This is more likely with wideangle lenses.  It's a problem that none of
the manufactureres seems to have entirely overcome.