I use a modified web camera for photomicrography. It makes good stills
and videos at high magnification. The modification involves removing the
lens mount from the circuit board (exposing the CCD) cutting off a
millimeter or so to enable a 12mm Marshall lens, that replaces the
original, to focus to infinity. The CCD gets crap on it very easily. At
the magnifications I use -- 1200X and more the dust specs are like
boulders covering detail in the specimens. Cleaning is a very difficult
job. because taking it all to pieces and putting it back outside a clean
room is hopeless. I tried working with the camera inside a plastic bag,
doesn't help much, if at all. Cleaning the *ist D sensor is a piece of
cake. I use a Zerostat (probably contains Polonium isotopes) to give it
a preliminary blow and then a Pasteur pipette with a rubber bulb on the
back to give a final puff or two. So far it has been successful. But the
Quickcam Pro is a real pain. I'm going to make a small hood -- wire
frame and plastic sheet to work in before I try again.

D (NPP)

--
Dr E D F Williams
www.kolumbus.fi/mimosa/