For carrying lots of gear a backpack my be the better option, but when
just walking around town, I don't like having to take the bag off to
get at my gear.

For this reason I like my Crumpler "6 Million Dollar Home". It's a
shoulder bag (that doesn't look like a camera bag BTW), I wear with
the strap running across my chest, with the bag sitting on my right
hip, or slid around onto my lower back.

At the moment it's carrying, K10D -w- grip + 77Ltd., DA 16-45, FA 50
f1.4, DA 10-17 FE, F 1.7x AF Adapter, AF 540 FGZ flash & other small
items (cable release, hot shoe level, batteries etc.)

Cheers,

Dave