I always considered them a necessary evil ... they always got in the
way. Nothing to do with style or habit. I hate having *anything*
hanging from my neck or even from my belt.

When I need a place to set the camera aside while changing lenses, I
either put it on a table or hang it from the wrist strap using a
carabiner on the shoulder bag strap. (I wear the shoulder bag with
the strap across my shoulders and use a belly-strap to keep it on my
back when walking or bending ... hate the bloody things flopping about.)

Film? What's film? Only film I've touched in four years has been 120
film, and that's pre-loaded onto film inserts for the P645 when at
home. When I run out of loaded inserts, my shooting is usually
done.  ;-)