Tim,

A big flag on a fence can be disrespectful.
Sometimes, I don't quite get it either.

We have many manifestations of the flag display here in the USA.
People can wear flag lapel pins on their suit jackets.  People can put
notecard sized flag decals on car window or bumper.  Police and Fire
public service employees can have a cloth flag patch on their uniforms
like a unit ensignia on a military uniform.  People can put up full
sized flags on national holidays, especially Memorial Day - a national
holiday comissioned to honor our war dead from our CIVIL WAR of the
1860's.  People can paint a flag on a fence or the side of a building.

I don't think most of these folks are rabbid war supporters.

Regards, Bob S.