On 1/09/07 10:30 AM, "Godfrey DiGiorgi", <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> What about the use of "would have" for "had"?  As in, "If I would
>> have written it properly, nobody could have been offended".
>> Correct US use?  It sounds diabolical to me.
>> 8-)
>
> It's a colloquialism or vernacular in US English. (I'm not a
> linguist, the distinction is a little vague to me.) Understood and
> acceptable in casual conversation but not seen in written prose or
> formal 'correct' speech.

I use those sentences but if they are colloquial, I have to know what the
proper use of them to describe the same situations in more formal letter
etc.  I did not know there was anything wrong with those expressions.
BTW, I have nothing against "proper" or "correct" U.S. English.  They are
often more rationalized and save ink. (Color instead of colour etc, but not
night/nite or through/thru unless in email etc)

Ken