Well, in the "American" dictionary we use as the official source for
Scrabble play, both
night/nite  color/colour  realize/realise are good - though the s
 version is considered British
as is the "our" ending .  But night/nite is just a modern cutseyism(I
just invented this word)

We get a lot of "that's not a word" from non Scrabble pro's - and many
atrocities are duly
noted but accepted for competitive play.

elevator/lift is quite another matter - not much to do with spelling,
actually :)
but certainly a signal that the person who was writing to you was from
one place or another.

ann