On 13.01.07, at 1:34 , Tim Øsleby wrote:

> We found the FA* to focus faster than the Sigma. He is also
> planning to buy
> a K10, so AF speed will probably be all right. And that is one
> reason he was
> leaning towards the FA*, because the seller had told him the Ltd
> has way
> slower AF performance. Can someone confirm this?
It is possible as FA* has internal (rear to be exact) focusing and in
Ltd camera must move whole front barrel with glass which is
additionally dampened for nice manual focus feel. Here is another
advantage of FA* - nothing moves during AF under your fingers - AF/MF
clutch ensures this and front of the lens stands still during
focusing contrary to Ltd.

> Another reason for preferring FA* was that he found the Ltd more a
> piece of
> jewellery. He expected he would feel a bit uncomfortable with using it
> outdoor under rough conditions. I can sympathise with this. The
> built of the
> FA* begs for real life use.
It is built like a tank, although painting is rather prone to
scratches acording to long time users (I've had mine for one year -
no scratches so far, but I generally take care for my equipment) -
otherwise it should withstand tough conditions.

> He asked me if I felt the FA* to be a close range lens. Any
> comments on
> this?
Some people from film era have been talking about this. However I've
found FA* to be a great performer on digital, no matter if close or
far focusing distance. Independent tests using DXO analyzer has only
proved this:
http://www.pictchallenge-archives.net/TESTNUM/BxuREV7.html
as a matter of fact it is as sharp as one of the sharpest pentax
lenses ever - FA 50/2.8 macro and undoubtly better than very highly
regarded FA 35/2(!)

> So basically I'm asking for advise for a sympatric Pentax guy. Take
> it away
> Sam...
All in all tough choice :-) These two lenses are from two different
worlds, each has its own advantages and disadvantages. I would choose
the one my heart beat rate is faster for ;-)

Cheers,
Sylwek