On Jan 15, 2007, at 12:48 PM, John Francis wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 14, 2007 at 02:51:56PM -0800, Godfrey DiGiorgi wrote:
>>
>> Once I get it sorted out, I'll think about whether I want to put in
>> the time to wrap this into a useful UI, etc.  It is a largish effort
>> as I will need to unwrap all the code that extracts the data and
>> separate it into something that presents the data in a more
>> digestible, windowing system manner rather than a simple text stream.
>>
>> Thanks for posting the source, John!
>> Godfrey
>
> I would strongly suggest that you contact me and pick up the latest
> version of the source before you do anything much along those lines;
> it's a constantly-evolving piece of code.  One thing that is changing
> is the way to extract the data; it's getting shuffled around into a
> more modular form.

Certainly! It is, after all, your work. :-)
Modularizing the data extraction sounds great.

I don't know yet whether I will actually do anything with it;
building and running it is more a curiosity of "what's in the file"
rather than something I need to do.

> I'm giving some thought to making a GUI variant of the tool, but if
> I do that it will (of course) be a Windows program.  Cross-platform
> graphical interfaces aren't easy.

One position I had as the designer of a cross-platform application
development system for graphical applications. I agree, it's not
easy, but there are things that can make it much easier.

If you can factor the file system IO, data transformation and user
interface sections of the code cleanly, it makes implementing the
application on multiple OS/GUI systems much much easier.

Godfrey