From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of
Godfrey DiGiorgi
Sent: Monday, January 22, 2007 1:21 PM
To: Pentax-Discuss Mail List
Subject: Re: Film vs. Digital - not a religion

On Jan 22, 2007, at 9:18 AM, Bruce Dayton wrote:
> If you are shooting digital, many have said to underexpose to save the

> highlights.  You are correct to expose accurately for both ends of the

> spectrum.  The issue with digital, I think, is that the shadow areas
> tend to show noise more - so it is really best to expose for the
> highlights without blowing them out and then darken later, if
> necessary.

Proper digital exposure should be biased to come as close to
saturation as possible due to the nature of the sensors' linear
capture and the mathematics associated. Bruce Fraser illustrates this
well in  "Real World Camera Raw with Photoshop CS2", pages 6-8. So
the best methodology is to set exposure for a scene's Zone IX
highlights to capture the highest valued detail that you want to
retain in the final image. That brings in the greatest amount of data
and exploits the sensor's analog dynamic range to maximum, minimizes
noise at the blackpoint threshold after gamma encoding and bayer
demosaicing. Of course, proper RAW conversion for such an exposure
may not be at a RAW converter's default settings ... it often takes
customization of the gamma encoding curves to express all the tonal
values that were captured in RGB channel space.

Current digital sensor maximum dynamic range, after gamma encoding
and demosaicing, is right around 10 stops with the K10D, which
surpasses most film emulsions handily. Measurements I made with my
*ist DS body showed that it could manage 7-9 stops (RAW format
capture, dependent upon ISO setting).

Some (a very few) B&W emulsions can manage between 11-13 stops of DR
at the limit. No color emulsions that I know of can handle more than
8-9 stops, transparency emulsions in particular are hard pressed to
handle 5-6.

Godfrey