> Lisp is truly beautiful, you have to try to see its beauty.
> The concept
> of a program that can write itself at run-time and then be evaluated

> (executed) is truly brilliant.

Not too sure about that. I had an excellent training in programming
all those years ago. In my first job as a programmer I (and my
colleagues who joined before me) where handed some standard specs on
day one, pointed towards the cupboard full of manuals, and told to
come back in a few months when I'd written all the programs in
assembler. After that we wrote a mix of COBOL and assembler.

One of my colleagues, just for the helluvit, wrote an assembler
program which he then translated into a large string constant which he
coded into the Working Storage of a COBOL program. The first
instruction of the COBOL program was a branch to the start of Working
Storage, where it then executed the constant as a program.

Very clever, but not exactly a maintenance programmer's dream.

> Given the time when it was
> envisioned...

Well, one of the key insights of von Neumann (?) was the equivalence
of data and program, so we should expect that someone would make use
of the idea. In fact, I think even Turing may have done so.

--
 Bob