On 1/27/07, Bob W <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > Lisp is truly beautiful, you have to try to see its beauty.
> > The concept
> > of a program that can write itself at run-time and then be evaluated
>
> > (executed) is truly brilliant.
>
> Not too sure about that. I had an excellent training in programming
> all those years ago. In my first job as a programmer I (and my
> colleagues who joined before me) where handed some standard specs on
> day one, pointed towards the cupboard full of manuals, and told to
> come back in a few months when I'd written all the programs in
> assembler. After that we wrote a mix of COBOL and assembler.
>
> One of my colleagues, just for the helluvit, wrote an assembler
> program which he then translated into a large string constant which he
> coded into the Working Storage of a COBOL program. The first
> instruction of the COBOL program was a branch to the start of Working
> Storage, where it then executed the constant as a program.
>
> Very clever, but not exactly a maintenance programmer's dream.

Yes, thats ugly.  The Data=Program paradigm of Lisp is not like this.
For example, I could build and save a bunch of lambda expressions
(mini functions) as data, then pass that data as the mechanism to get
specific things sorted to a quick sort function, or any other function
that can take this type of executable data.  Its a very powerful
mechanism and is used frequently and is not considered kludgey.  A
typical use was to write out the data out as a program, and when you
loaded it back, you just evaluated it to get the original data, no
parsing necessary.