Naw, he got "Hinky" from the movie "The Fugitive."  One of the Marshal
Service deputies says "Hinky" describing the fugitive, and Tommy Lee Jones
character asks the deputy the meaning of "hinky" and tells him not to use
words that have no meaning around him.  Unfortunately I didn't recognize a
Pentax camera being used by any of the newspeople in the movie.

     Frank Theriault wrote:

     Hi, Jeff,
     I'm in TO too, and I (and my circle of acquaintances) use "pooched"
     all the time.
     "Hinky" is a new one on me, though.  Methinks it originates somewhere
     west of Mississaugua.  :-)
     - -frank