Peter Fairweather wrote on Thu, 15 Feb 2007 13:40:58 -0800

> Dear List
>
> As I have a birthday coming up, it is sometimes possible to persuade
> the financial controller of the importance of a special purchase.
>
> I have located the Pentax 1000mm mirror lens at a fairish price. Has
> anyone here experience of it?
>
> I have a 500mm Tamron mirror lens which is OK but a bit poor on
> contrast. On a very sunny day by UK standards, you can even use it
> with the 1.7 af converter.
>
> For the money I could buy a K10D, but the birthday is a chance to buy
> something more unusual.
>
> All advice greatfully received

If you could buy a K10D for the price of this Pentax lens may I
suggest a very good and much cheaper alternate?  Maybe then you could
have both...

I bought the LZOS MC MTO 11-SA (11-CA in Russian ) 1000mm f11 mirror
telephoto directly from the LZOS factory <http://www.lzos.ru/en/
optics_for_you/photo_camera_lenses/mto_11_ca_lens.htm> a couple of
years ago in M42 mount.  Unlike the similar but more expensive
Rubinar lens from Zenit <http://www.rugift.com/photocameras/
rubinar_1000_lens.htm>, it will fit onto a Pentax DSLR body fitted
with the M42 to K-mount adapter ring without interference from the
overhanging flash housing.  Yes, it's bigger and heavier than the
Pentax, but its sharpness is surprisingly good.  You will need a
sturdy tripod though.

Just a thought, since you asked for advice...

Regards, Jim