On 2/24/07 2:58 AM, "Brendan MacRae", <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Has anyone used the dedicated Pentax sensor cleaning
> kit?
>
> Is it worth the $35 and shipping.

I have had no chance of using this, but I was looking for it here.
There have been a few reports of actual use in Japan and they are all
reporting it works well.  But they equally reporting that the price is a bit
steep :-).

It is apparently made of silicon rubber (or something, but don't take my
word) which is just sticky enough to lift dust/specks which cannot be shaken
off by usual DR motion.  The tip is square, covering the area of 1/4 or 1/6
of sensor (actually low pass filter) size.  So if you go over the surface
systematically 4 times (or 6 times, I do not remember which), you can cover
the whole area.

Since Pentax Service Centres (at least in Japan) are using this when users
bring their camera in, I suppose it is another proof that it works.  In
fact, I understand that Pentax created this for their own use first.

As I said, price is rather .......
But I suppose it is a matter of cost vs benefit.
As for me, so far, conventional puffing method has been sufficient but you
never know when you need "sticky lift" to get rid of stubborn dust:-)  When
you need it, you need it.

Ken