Bill -

The Google route looks pretty good for the midwest.  Your first
bottleneck will be Minneapolis/St Paul, but if you hit it in the middle
of the day you should be OK - avoid morning and evening rush hour.  You
can avoid Chicago altogether by taking I-39 from Rockford, IL down to
Bloomington/Normal, then I-74 across to Indianapolis.

If you don't mind going by way of Chicago, don't go through downtown
like the map shows. Zoom in on the Chicago area and catch the Tri-State
Tollway (I-294) which will take you around the city and hook back to
I-94 again on the south side.  Try to hit Chicago at mid-day.  Rush
hour, AM & PM, is a bitch.

Again, if you don't mind the Chicago traffic, when you get to Madison,
go east to Milwaukee and we can probably find a spot for you on a couch
for the night.

If you can swing it, a Garmin C330 GPS would be invaluable.  Good detail
to the map, excellent directions and good route recalculation if you
miss a turn.  The map is pre-loaded and covers all of the US and the
southern tier of the Canadian provinces.  They've been selling for
around 300USD around here.

-P