Well, just outside of town here, my Tom Tom Navigator 5.0 software on
the pocket pc tells me to take a sharp right in 80 yards. If I do that I
drive into a mountain. The thing is that the road was under construction
when the GPS van went through and there was a detour from one side of of
the road to the other at that time that is long since gone. The road
goes through a cut at that point so the software is asking me to drive
through solid rock.

I run into that a lot. The electronic maps are always five or more years
out of date. That is the difference between the two routes Cotty was
seeing to GFM from DC, the map software thinks 421 is still under
construction while it has been complete for the past 3-4 years. Take out
the 30 miles of slow old road and detours and the lowland route is
almost exactly the same time and distance as the mountain route.

Boone changed the center of their address grid 10+ years back, none of
the electronic maps, and I have 4 different ones, show that change;
hence it is impossible to find a location by address here.

-graywolf