> From:
> "Kenneth Waller"
>> I guess I'm outa the loop - never heard of it.
> "Yeah, its just a bunch ---- of    HOOP......LA
It's a *BIG, BIG* thing here in Central North Carolina where I live,
since we've got Duke, UNC, Wake Forest and NC State (the original
Cinderella team from 1983). I'm not really a fan, but I do enjoy it when
local teams do well, especially if that local team happens to be NC
State. But you can't get away from it around here. For us, March Madness
starts with the ACC tournament; the original conference tournament.

Most years the ACC conference manages to put at least one team in the
Final 4, usually Duke or Carolina. If not them, then Virginia, Maryland
or Wake Forest will get there, and now the conference includes Boston
College and Virginia Tech.

Unfortunately for us this year, the only team we've got in the Final 4
is the UNC Women's team. They go up against Tennessee in Cleveland on
Sunday night.

But this year the ACC did put 7 teams into the NCAA men's tournament,
and 3 into the NIT - the only two ACC teams that didn't get a
post-season bid this year were Miami and Wake Forest.

The year NC State won the National Championship, they came out of
nowhere to beat UNC with Michael Jordan in the ACC tournament; then
knocked off Virginia, led by Ralph Sampson in the West Region final to
get to the final 4 where they earned a face off with Houston's
Phi-Slamma-Jamma featuring Akeem Olajuwon, the last player to be named
tournament MVP while playing on a losing team.

This year NC State managed to upset Duke twice and UNC once, only to
lose the ACC championship game to UNC.

Like I said, I'm not really a fan. Y'all need to get someone who's
really into it to explain it to you.