From: Robert Wetmore [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Monday, October 22, 2001 2:01 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Question on SMC filters

Hello, all...let me ask a question which will display my ignorance of
optical principles:

Does mounting a multicoated filter actually reduce lens flare, or does it
just minimize the flare that would have been added by the filter itself?  In

other words, would adding an SMC filter improve performance on non-SMC
lenses in regard to flare?  (Only the outside element is multicoated on SMC
glass, right - so does flare just come from rays striking the first glass
surface?)  Help; I'm confused.

I ask because I am thinking of buying up some of the undervalued Konica
glass out there (after great results from their 57/1.2) but, since I have
been spoiled by the SMC of Pentax glass, I am wondering how much an SMC
filter would help.

Thanks,
Rob