Reputable testers, (such as Modern Photography), did just that.  Of
course they seldom tested cameras beyond meter sensitivity and exposure
accuracy).  But lens comparisons were with identical emulsions and hand
held meters, as well as bench testing using special testing tools.

--
All dogs have four legs; my cat has four legs. Therefore, my cat is a dog.