Well I had a similar story with a just new from the box HP DV9702US.  I
worked with it for a while and decided that the web camera that came
integrated with it was a junk.  So I donwloaded the Vista drivers from
the internet for my external camera, installed it and worked with it for
a while, turned the pc off, and next day it will not boot up.  Somewhere
in the boot process the famous BSOD, came up! ( Blue Screen Of Death).
The operating system could not boot up and a critical error was been
dumped from memory to disk.  I found that Vista in that computer comes
by default with the restore point creation disabled.  So I tried every
way to boot up the damn thing until I was able once to boot up, I
quickly went to the HP Full restore option and I was able to get the PC
back as new like 2 days eralier when I bought it. After that I did the
back up DVD operating system DVD's.
 Now I plan to install Photoshop CS3 and Lightroom.  I do know that LR
is not Vista ready yet but do know of some people using it.  This
portable pc has the option for installing a secon HD and I am going that
way.   I will keep that second HD for putting my files in it ( read the
pictures files) in case this happens again!  I will backup to 2 external
HD and burn DVDs with the keepers raw images.  I think Vista is not
stable enough yet.

Angel Ramos
Arecibo, Puerto Rico