My computer is fracked up again, though this time I've been able to at least
recover my data with relative ease.

I really need help: my computer won't boot.

It's a Dell Precision 650 (I think) dual-Xeon workstation, running Windows
Vista Ultimate for about a week now.  It's a few years old, but it's more
powerful than anything new I've tried lately.  I bought it used from my old
boss last December.  It never had problems while I was using it at work for two
years, nor after I brought it home, until I started playing games on it
(specifically GTA San Andreas and Star Wars Battlefront II).  A little over two
weeks ago, my hard drive became inaccessible and I didn't have the original
Windows XP disk, so I had to scrap everything and buy a new OS and hard drive.
Vista has been a dream until two days ago.

At the point in the boot cycle where the BIOS is done and Windows is supposed
to start, nothing happens.  The screen is blank and a cursor smugly blinks away
in the upper left corner.  I've tried using the restore options on the Windows
Vista disk, but to no avail (it says there's nothing wrong with my install of
Vista, and restoring the system to a previous date doesn't fix anything
either).  I used an old Norton SystemWorks disk to run their equivalent of Disk
Check, where it found some sort of "security descriptors" problem and fixed it,
but the system still won't boot.  I'm beginning to think this is a hardware
issue unrelated to the hard drive, but I don't know how to find and solve the
problem.

Also, since this is a used computer, I don't know how to get access to Dell's
BIOS drivers and related software in case there are updates and whatnot.

If anyone has any ideas on things I can try or where I might find drivers and
such, please let me know.  I'm getting desperate here: I just want a stable
computer!

Oh, please don't throw some "Switch to Mac/Linux/abacus" balloney at me.  Aside
from the fact that I can't afford anything new, I actually like Windows and
don't think the OS is the issue here.

Thanks,
John