Hoyle is presenting a false dichotomy in that argument. In essence he
says (in that quote) that life arose either by random chance, or by
intelligent design, and these are the only options available. They may
be the only options he could think of, but they're certainly not the
only ones available. Evolution is another option. If Hoyle thought
evolution was random chance then he clearly didn't understand
evolution.

--
 Bob