On Wed, 11 Jul 2007, David Savage wrote:

> PS is OK for small distortions, but it's not so good for correcting
> those inherent to fisheye lenses.

        Sorry folks...One of my pet peeves here....

        Fisheye lenses are no more distorted than regular rectilinear.
It's just a different type of projection used to map a spherical
real-world representation onto a planar object.  It just so happens that
under most circumstances (read: non-extreme wide angle and towards the
center), the "straight-lines map to straight-lines" of a rectiliear
projection appear more natural to people.  If you look at an extreme
wideangle rectilinear projection, I can assure you that it looks more
distorted than a fisheye projection.

        I'm not saying that there's not a use for coordinate
transformations, just that calling fisheye lenses distorted and
rectilinear not distorted is distorted... ;-)

  -Cory

* Cory Papenfuss, Ph.D., PPSEL-IA                                       *
* Electrical Engineering                                                *