----- Original Message -----
From: "Toralf Lund"
Subject: OTish: Rodinal/Agefix keeping time, and how to know if they are
stillgood?

> Anyhow, I was just wondering if any of you lot have any opinions on the
> *actual* shelf life of photo chemicals, notably Rodinal developer and
> Agefix fixer. I mean, I know what the official white-papers and various
> other resources on the web will tell you, but I suspect the figures
> given are generally very pessimistic.

Unopened, Rodinal should have a shelf life similar to that of a Sea Turtle.
Once opened, I think a couple of years is possible. The concentrate does
oxidize slightly and turns dark, but it doesn't seem to affect the
performance.
Fixer has a shelf life of decades as well. If a little precipitate forms,
run it through a paper coffee filter. You can test fixer with a short piece
of undeveloped film. Dunk the film part way into the solution for 15 or so
seconds, and then submerge it completely. If once both sides match density,
you have your clearing time, which is also listed on the spec sheet for the
product. Fixer is considered exhausted when the clearing time is double what
it was when fresh.

William Robb