>Christian, Patrick,
>OK, guys, if I show you mine will you show me yours?
>I'd love to see macro photos from you guys and any other PDMLers!  How
about
>returning a URL and letting us all have a look!

        Suprise of suprises (to me most of all), I actually had time to dig through
my picture scan archives and pulled these three out:

http://www.hevanet.com/patbob/InsectMacros/12_AphidSide.JPG
http://www.hevanet.com/patbob/InsectMacros/14_AphidFront.JPG
http://www.hevanet.com/patbob/InsectMacros/MomAnd2hrOldBaby.JPG

        The whole point I jumpped into this thread was to debunk some comments
about how DOF preview was not useful for macro shots.  I pointed out some
aphid shots I took as examples.  So, here some are.
        These are all full-frame 35mm scans (with a little cropping to remove the
curved corners and fuzzy edges).  To make these, I did indeed use an intense
enough modeling light to get at least partial DOF preview.  Using it, I
adjusted the shot many times before I finally captured these images.
Because of that, I didn't waste film taking shots where the subject wasn't
properly focused -- shots 12 and 14 are respectively 12 and 14 on the roll,
and the mom-and-baby shot is a few frames later on the same roll.
        These shots are also examples of something else I mentioned.. there are
times when even if one has enough modeling light for the shot, flash is
preferred.  My reasoning in these was that the modeling light was
monochromatic orange so as not disturb the insect and would therefore had
made a poor image (my opinion).
        I've got further examples where I used DOF preview in macro shots to insure
I didn't waste film on images that I wouldn't like.  Perhaps some don't find
it useful, but I certainly do.

hope that helps,
patbob ([EMAIL PROTECTED] [EMAIL PROTECTED])

P.S> BTW, the "handles" on the back are apparently for squirting predators
with some nasty waxy substance.