On Aug 21, 2007, at 7:01 AM, Steve Desjardins wrote:

> I must be missing something.  What is the point of Live View with a
> DSLR?

1- Exact, precise 100% coverage framing

2- Live histogram display for dynamic exposure adjustment

3- Critical focusing aids if the camera implements image
magnification in live view manual focus mode

4- A big, clear, bright viewfinder you can view with both eyes for
compositional purposes, like a medium format camera with a waist
level finder.

5- Dynamically configurable viewfinder ... rule of thirds reference
lines, retical sight, fine grid overlays ... for framing aids.

6- Ability to frame for waist level or overhead shots easily and
accurately

My Panasonic L1 has Live View and all the above features. It is a
fantastic aid in various kinds of work, kind of an ideal hybrid. Use
the optical reflex viewfinder for what it's best at, use the LCD
display for what it's best at, and gain a healthy set of capabilities
along the way.

Godfrey