Paul,

> It seems my CRT monitor is about to bite the dust - it's starting to
> exhibit keystoning so I suspect the yoke is becoming a problem.  If I
> were to consider an LCD, what important specs should I be looking for?

not all LCDs are made equal, even when all of them say "Active matrix
TFT". Currently (S-)IPS panels are probably the best for colour
corrections/photo editing, followed by PVA and MVA. Most of the common
LCDs are made using basic TN technology which is quite inferior to the
above mentioned due to significant colour shifts when viewed from an
angle among other things (fine for the office stuff though).

If tech specs mention viewing angles 178/178, it's most probably PVA/MVA
based display, 170/170 is characteristic of IPS. Latest TN panels offer
160/160 but I'd say it's more like 150/130 as the visible difference is
considerably higher.

Of course there are some other important aspects like quality and
uniformity of the backlighting or internal gamma/LUT adjustements
capabilities but the quality of the screen is primarily determined by
used panel technology.

Cheers,

Peter