> Gee thanks.  Now how do I get this arrow out of my butt?
>
> Ob.Trivia - did you know that archery targets are called 'butts'?
>             Do you know why?

The French word for a goal is 'but'. To score a goal is marquer un
but. Butt is more or less directly derived from that word. That word
itself is derived from a word for the end of a barrel (butt) or tree
stump, which was used as the target in archery. It is all in the same
sense field as 'thick' and 'end' and the word 'buttock' is derived
from the same source and applied metaphor to one's glutes.

It's not just archery targets, of course. Rifle ranges are also called
butts. In cadets at school it was always rather fun to be in the butts
changing the targets and listening to the bullets zinging overhead.

--
 Bob

Blind