----- Original Message -----
From: "Scott Loveless"
Subject: Re: PESO: Steam Power

> William Robb wrote:
>> A while back, the railroad company decided to ressurect a steam
>> locomotive
>> for some reason. Anyway, it did a cross country tour and passed through a
>> city near me.
>> I decided that an old train needed an old picture look to it.
>>
>> http://users.accesscomm.ca/wrobb/pictures/peso/steamer.html
>>
>> K10, 12-24mm lens.
>> Converted to grayscale and then filtered for colour.
>>
> Wow!  That's excellent, Bill.  I love the lines, the composition, the
> motion blur.
>
> Now I'm going to break the chain and tell you that I don't care for the
> sepia toning.  Sepia shouldn't tone the blacks, IMHO.  The brown tone
> makes me think of the "Olde Tyme" photos one gets at an amusement park.
>  I suppose this is a matter of taste, and I do seem to be a very small
> minority here.  So take that with a fistful of salt.
>
> Otherwise, it's gorgeous, and I'd not hesitate to hang it on my wall.

Thanks Scott. That was a fairly Q&D colour conversion of the grayscale
image. I'm still not able to get a look that is similar to fibre paper and
toner with the computer. The best look I've gotten so far has been with quad
toned images.
Sepia toning (and all toning) has to tone the blacks, as it is a chemical
reaction to the silver image, not a dye being introduced to the paper.

William Robb