P. J. Alling wrote:

>It would be nice, (and probably easy), to add a firmware switch to
>enable it with any lens, but I expect that Pentax wants to avoid a lot
>of returns for repair when the camera stops autofocusing properly.

Sad but true.
I've been told be people associated with Pentax and Nikon that the main
reason aperture rings are going away from lenses is not to save
manufacturing costs but to save warranty "repair" costs from people who
think their camera is broken when in fact they just don't have the lens
set properly.