On 2/13/08, William Robb <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Thinking out loud time, would there be an advantage to having, for example,
> all the background services running on one CPU, and then having big
> applications like Photoshop running on the other one?

There are actually disadvantages to this approach, in that the
operating system is usually much better about delegating resources
than you could ever be. Remember also that any halfway recent version
of Photoshop is multiple-processor aware, and will run faster if it
has the resources of two processors to use.

That being said, on the servers that I admin (Sun Solaris). I can do
this. It's usually only done to keep a particular application from
"swamping" the box during periods of heavy load. If you do it wrong,
you end up bringing a lot of expensive hardware to its knees with
trivial tasks.

I can't answer the affinity question for Windows unfortunately.

-Mat